Hopefully this pile of metal crap means my new studio space is inching forward. Every week they take a bit more junk out of that space. Every week there is a new excuse as to why it is not finished. While I guess I am glad that I am not trying to move while ill, am also more than ready to get on with the moving.
First thing I will be doing is to add a 16'+ extention on to the existing 8' high loft. Next I will add a railing to the loft to bring it to code. Then I am going to build a 12'x12'x24" riser, under which will be room for storage totes. After it is inspected, I will be immediately swapping out the locks so only I have a key. After tackling the electrical issues, (unplugging the over head florescents, dropping lines from those quad boxes so that the wall switch can be used for lighting, adding an outlet or two to the loft, and a couple of places around the room, and determining to which breaker box that studio is wired), I will be sweeping, smudging, setting up magickal protections and generally driving any bad ju-ju from that space.
I have had months to plot and plan this move, so at the point I physically start moving things, no brain work will be needed. I will just need to follow both my "to do" spreadsheet and my floor plan. When done, I will have my library in the loft with some seating, my living room & daybed on the riser under a tented gazebo, a mini kitchen & dining area complete with my 19th century table, a closet dressing room with my 19th century dresser set, and areas for computers, drawing, painting, ink drawing, and soft goods such as beading & sewing. Best of all I will have a huge wall completely dedicated to painting.
I am betting it will take me nearly a month to build and move, then the rest of the summer to paint the floors, arrange and generally turn the place into a girl cave.
Of course I am doing this all the right way. I have been slowly gathering recycled lumber so my construction costs, for some hardware and few electrical parts, should be under $100, (I am shooting for under $50). I also have been gathering half used buckets of paint & paint "seconds", there again my costs will be minimal. After I settle in, I am slowly going to start working on some water hacks. Unlike several of my older studios, this one, like my current space, will not have running water. But with a little creativity I think I can get around that and even set up a shower of sorts. It will be more like indoor camping water wise but doable.
Big plans I know. And yes, I will be crushed if it all falls through. This is the first time since I was in my 30's that I can set up a space for just me. Gawd I need this to happen.

No comments:
Post a Comment